To Steal a Dragon's Gold ~5 Spot Rp~

164 replies [Last post]
Rheithebrave's picture
Rheithebrave
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 05/09/2017
"Its not what you get but what you do with it." -Xanadu

Byrn was out the door and mounted up the instant Gorm and the minstrel were finished with their banter. Folks mounted up nearby, while others walked. Gorm shuffled along in front. Byrn shook his head and seemed round in front of the tottering innkeeper. "Here, climb up, faster that way."

Gorm mumbled something slurred, still hungover, and with grear difficulty, climbed into the saddle behind the young hunter. Byrn shifted in his saddle, suddenly wishing Gorm had just brought his own horse. (Sorry, no one mentioned if he did, and I need a reason for Byrn to do something, I'm new to the loner role)

As they rode towards the edge of town, villagers gathered on the side of the rode cheering them on. Byrn ignored most of them, although the little girl with the flowers tugged a tiny smile to his eyes. So sweetly innocent.

Well, shed have to grow up soon. He tried to return to his stoic outward appearance. 

Some of those coming had horses, the merchant girl, one of the other men, the shifty one who had argued with the invited man. Aerath was it?

Byrn shook his head and kept riding. As they came to the edge of the villages boundaries, and stepped out into the unknown, Byrn felt a cold shiver down his spine. This was it, a journey back out into bthe world. Outside the village. Out into the unknown.

Valasari's picture
Valasari
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 09/25/2017
...............

~Kora~

 

​     Kora had been holding her horses' reins the entire time that they were walking. Kora was getting tired of walking and her horse was looking very rested. She mounted him and patted his neck, "Angus, you're such a trusty horse". Angus, who was a B&W Gypsy Vanner, held his head high and clopped his hooves with such might.

    Kora thought back to Iris's  pretty face and soft green eyes. She had a charming flower crown that she made. She was so crafty. Another reason to not d.ie on this journey. 

    Kora nudged Angus with her heel and made sure to do it softly or else he would probably become a meany and try to bite her.

    Kora looked around at the scenery. It was beautiful.

chameishida's picture
chameishida
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 08/01/2014
Kame Reinner

Kame waved naturally at the crowd and smiled confidently as he walks along the group. Most of them have horses. Kame doesn't really like them. Even for a guy who love animal this much, horses just make him uncomfortable(even if he isn't he won;t be able to afford them anyway). Thankfully Kame wasn't really stood out yet when they take their time through the cheering crowd, something stopping to interact with one of them and that Kame's able to keep up the pace just fine unlike Gorm.

Rheileen's Storm's picture
Rheileen's Storm
Offline
Berk's Power Player
Joined: 07/20/2017
Rosie!

I node as we setout and As we walk along the street ppl wave us on and I smile at them and wave a little. Violate waves at me and so do momand dad but it appears I'm the only one with family here the others just nod and smile or not even that much it so nice, of the villagers to treat us this way!

As we reach the villages edge I have to pull snowflake back a little its my first time beyond he edge and I'm nervous/excited. Hopefully this will go well! I kick her into a walk again I'm so nervous!

Rheileen's Storm's picture
Rheileen's Storm
Offline
Berk's Power Player
Joined: 07/20/2017
Rosie!

I node as we setout and As we walk along the street ppl wave us on and I smile at them and wave a little. Violate waves at me and so do momand dad but it appears I'm the only one with family here the others just nod and smile or not even that much it so nice, of the villagers to treat us this way!

As we reach the villages edge I have to pull snowflake back a little its my first time beyond he edge and I'm nervous/excited. Hopefully this will go well! I kick her into a walk again I'm so nervous!

Aerhth's picture
Aerhth
Offline
Viking Warrior
Joined: 01/18/2018
Aerhth Whaunt

For the love of Ogre teeth…

Aerhth inwardly seethed as the townspeople cheered them on as they left. Their group`s strength was on open display for all to see, and those interested enough to observe it would be well hidden in the crowd. Aerhth searched the bystanders for anyone conspicuous. They all seem okay, Aerhth thought to himself, and then chuckled to himself, I guess Kame did quality work with his little speech. These people think they`re going to get a share of the…

There. Aerhth spotted a solitary man observing from underneath an overhang next to a side street. He was rather unkept and watched the group with roving eyes. When he suddenly averted his gaze when he noticed Aerhth looking in that direction, Aerhth was convinced. Aerhth took a mental note of him, and looked away only to instantly spot two others, one pretending to cheer them on and the other trying to conceal himself behind a wagon.

Took a deep breath to help control his anger at Kames mistake of publicly announcing their venture. We`re going to have to implement some measures to keep from being followed.

“Buh-bye, mista! Come back wif some Gol!” Aerhth looked down to see a five-year-old lad smiling at him as he rode past. Aerhth smiled back. He always liked children, their innocence being something he occasionally envied. The boy gave him a wave before retreating into the crowd. Aerhth was about to turn around when his gaze fell upon the inn. There was the thug, standing in front of the inn and looking at the notice board, and then looked at their party. Aerhth turned around and took another deep breath, reminding himself of another idiom he had acquired during his travels.

When there`s money in the ground, there`s murder in the air.

(Error correction. Longswords are not 6 feet. They range from 4 to 5 feet, while not as long as I had previously mentioned they still are longer than arming swords)

 

Wolf and Star's picture
Wolf and Star
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 03/14/2014
Gail Cyrek ~20~

((It's the start of the adventure, I would like to set up a few challenges before we reach Kellsmount. Any ideas? Seems too early for a bandit attack.))

Aerhth's picture
Aerhth
Offline
Viking Warrior
Joined: 01/18/2018
frogs are delicious

how about a rickety rope bridge?

Valasari's picture
Valasari
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 09/25/2017
...............

​(Oh and/or they have to figure out how to get across a rushing river)

Aerhth's picture
Aerhth
Offline
Viking Warrior
Joined: 01/18/2018
frogs are delicious

yeah that sounds cool too!

Rheithebrave's picture
Rheithebrave
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 05/09/2017
"Its not what you get but what you do with it." -Xanadu

The path thinned out to nothing, only grass, leaves, rocks and the occasional tree branch barring their way. Byrn frowned, navigating promised to be difficult on horseback, especially with a rather large and slightly grumpy one legged man leaning on his back. Dismounting Byrn handed the reins to Gorm and started picking his way through the forest, guiding the others, and seeking out a path. Branches hung low about them, and stones promising to trip the horses blocked where any path might have been. 

Byrn didn't speak, but if he had been the talkative sort, his complaints would have lasted hours.

Slowly they made their way through the bracken and brambles. It was still early morning, yet the forest was darkened, heavy laden branches blocking most all of the sunlight. Up ahead could be heard the sound of water, quite dimly, and only gentle rivlets flowing over rocks, more likely then not only a continuation of the brook behind the village.

A glance behind himself assured Byrn that the others were keeping up with him. Nodding curtly he turned back to the forest floor, silently moving yet making his path clear to the others. While some branches hung low, making all those mounted have to duck or be knocked off, the path was found easily enough.

As the sun reached its zenith, they were still tromping through the forest, which was uncommonly thick for that part of the country. But the sound of the brook had become clearer,if not increasingly louder, making Byrn wonder if it even was a brook.

His answer came when they pushed through a last few trees and cake into a clearing. The brook, or so he had though it would be, had trickled into a larger, more powerful river. Despite it being fall, and the spring thaw was well over, the river rushed on like there was no to marrow and it must make its way along to its destination as quickly as possible.

Byrn set his jaw, inwardly he was groaning, banging his head against trees and clenching his fists. A river, full force flow, several dainty ladies tagging along, and horses. 

Good swimmer that he was, Sven Byrn had to admit to himself that swimming across such an expanse would prove to be painfully difficult, if not impossible.

Fergus chomped his bit and snorted, nudging his owner from behind and almost throwing Byrn off balance.

The young man turned and absently scratched Fergus's ears. 

A river to cross, was there a bridge of any sort? He glanced down the river bed first one way and then another. No bridge lay within sight, but outside of the line of vision was a good possibility. 

"So, I would suggest that you all stay here, including Gorm, I'll ride on ahead and see if I can find any way of crossing."

"Like what?" The old innkeeper asked, scratching his balding scalp in confusion. Byrn shrugged, climbing into the saddle after helping the old man down. "A place where the river thins, a log across, anything really. I'll be back." He nodded curtly and spurred Fergus on.

 

(This okay? If I shouldn't have posted I'm sorry, I acn delete it, but I don't want this to die! Also, I just said fall because that seemed the best time for the trip, I didn't see anything to say that it was a different time of year, so I went with a time when they could easily away from their homes, the harvest already being in and all. If I need to change anything, or just erase it, please tell me. But don't reply directly to do so or I can't change it!)

Valasari's picture
Valasari
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 09/25/2017
EMRACE THE POOF!!!

~Kora~

 

   Kora  stared at the boy who had volunteered to go ride down to the end and see if he could find a bridge. She patted Angus, who was shifting his weight from hoof to hoof, getting impatient. "Easy, Angus", she said in a soothing voice. 

   Kora looked in her saddle bag and pulled out a carrot, "here you go, buddy". She climbed off and patted his nose. She put her hand flat out and watched as Angus chomped on the carrot. He was enjoying it, Kora could tell because he hand a twinkle in his eyes.

   Kora made sure to give him a soothing T-rub before she mounted him again. As she climbed back on, she could tell that he was at ease. His muscles were relaxed and he was sighing. She rubbed his whithers.

    Angus began falling asleep. She knew that he liked to sleep standing up, so she didn't try to stop him from sleeping. Kora thought about Baer.

     ​He loves Angus and Kibe. He is going to miss them a whole lot. I miss Baer already. When I get back, I will do more with him.

Wolf and Star's picture
Wolf and Star
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 03/14/2014
A wild post appeared!!!

(((Sorry I haven't been able to get on. Been on a vacation. Should reply tomorrow night.)))

Wolf and Star's picture
Wolf and Star
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 03/14/2014
Gail Cyrek ~20~

“I'm telling you, it's across the woods!” Braydn Grom croaked.

“That is utterly nonsensical!” The minstrel snapped back.

They had been going at it for quite a while now. The back and forth was driving Gail mad. Gail pulled her hood over her head and wrapped her cloak tightly around herself. None of them could afford a horse and traveling on foot was far more taxing. They had been walking for half of the day by now. Luckily, the sun had passed its zenith and was not dipping lower of the horizon causing the sky to grey with dusk. Gail’s legs ached although not as much as her shoulders for lugging around the swords. She had seriously considered ditching then long sword. She had watched in silence as the scenery around her change since they left the town. The rolling farmland bordered by forests had slowly melted into large boulders, cool air and wide, open grassy landscapes. The slope of the terrain had begun to increase, even with a half a day’s journey, she could already see the mountain range in the distance. Perhaps another days journey away.

As the landscape became rockier and rockier, the group was forced to clamber over ledges and trudge through dips. The ground underfoot was hard and dry and their water supply was dwindling. Suddenly, the ground sloped away revealing a thickly forested terrain, in which the treetops, so thickly clumped together masked all chances of peering at the ground below. Gail sighed and moved forward. The horses hiked down into the valley, they were forced to dismount due to the growth. They were only walking for a little while when an odd sound caught Gail’s ear. A constant roar in the distance.

“Water.”

She whispered under her breath and continued on.

 

They hiked for about an hour, then they came upon what appeared to be a clearing in the woods. The roar was very loud now very close and yet, Gail had spotted no water. Gail yelped as her foot slipped, sending a rock over the edge. Definitely not a clearing, in fact, it was a carved ditch. The coursing river was swollen with the recent rains, the water was in turmoil. Thrashing, frothing and rising, cascading over rocks, bringing down trees with it. Even the most skilled swimmer would get pulled under, not to mention the horses they took on their journey.

"So, I would suggest that you all stay here, including Gorm, I'll ride on ahead and see if I can find any way of crossing." The nicer looking man was saying, Bryn was it?

Gail quietly knelt by the river, scooping up the cold water in her bladder.

“Like what?” Bradyn spoke for the first time in a few hours.

"A place where the river thins, a log across, anything really. I'll be back." Bryn shoved his heels into the horse.

Gail sighed, picked up a smooth pebble and flicked it with surprising accuracy at him, the pebble finding it's Mark on the back of his neck. Once she had his attention, she gestured for him to follow then turned and trudged off without even looking to see if he were following. She pushed herself through some bracken and emerged on the other side of a thick wall of greenery. There, about 20 meters upstream was a rickety old bridge.

Rheithebrave's picture
Rheithebrave
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 05/09/2017
"Its not what you get but what you do with it." -Xanadu

Byrn frowned, a rock hit the back of his neck, making him pull ups and look carefully around. Who ever had thrown it was a good shot, and if they wanted his attention they certainly had it wherever they where. His eyes fell as n the palsied girl. He wasn't sure of her name, but she certainly had a good arm. She motioned for him to follow, yet with no explanation for why. For a moment he sat there, then followed. Despite being a hunter himself, and a traveler of sorts,who was this say the girl didn't know this stretch of land better then himself?

As they rounded a bend he saw the point in her attempt to get her attention. A rickety log bridge swaying over the roaring waves. Byrn rubbed his chin. Alright, they had a bridge, what now? They had horses,most of them anyway, and there was no denying the fact that although they were worthy and loyal steeds, that they were in no ways comparable to the well trained steed of a knight or nobleman. There was no promise that they would come near the bridge, much less that they would cross it. Byrn frowned.

"I'm not asking how you knew, but this should work." He nodded to the girl (Gail) before turning and trotting Fergus back to bthe others. "She found a way, we can head out." With a stiff nod he turned and rode back to the bridge.

Crossing promised to be difficult, the horses especially would hack it hard. But it was like ice, if you spread your weight it made it relatively safer. 

Swinging himself out of the saddle he tur XD to those who had joined them at the bridge. "Who wants to go first?"

chameishida's picture
chameishida
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 08/01/2014
Kame Reinner

They've reached the river so they've stop to consider their options. Kame sat down on a rock. He's fit for a man his age but having walk on tracks to match up the pacing of the horses without any problem before make he long for a bit of a rest too. They have dismounted for the time being but Kame wondered how long he get it together if they're to be on the horse back again. Losing compose would not be good for him so he need to try something soon, luckily he had that something already planned.

"I'll ride up ahead and see if I can find anyway of crossing" The cold-shoulder hunter's voice annonced explaining he would find a place where both sides coming closer together so they could cross.

"Great thinking, pal!" Kame chirped from the rock, satisfied with the decision (including the he-go-alone part so that they could spend some time resting here waiting) nothing more to add. It's something he would do too.

The silent girl seemed to have to other idea though and when she gestured the older man to follow her, the curiosity win over the comfort of the rock.

"Yes, acceptional observation, girl!...seriously though, I need to know what I can call you" He muttered quieter in the later part once the two revealed they have found another way and arrived at the said place. Kame admited it's not the sturdiest bridge but begger can't be chooser, they'd still need to be careful thought.

"Well if no one else want to I can go first" Kame announced. He doesn't like the idea of having the younger ones or ladies to go first either way. The hunter asked so he likely don't want to do it himself which is fine. The innkeeper isn't in the condition  Kame would approve the go first. That leave Aerhth and the minstel(another one he need to ask for the name) but anyway Kame doesn't really mind being first. He stepped forward and began to walk.

It was good at first. It's rickety and old but not in the condition that would collapse on spot, at least not under the weight of one man with out a horse. It creeked and shooked badly though yet Kame kept marching on with same pace and unwevered face as though he's done it every other day, it almost reckless looking. Once Kame reached the other side he turned around, face plained. If he was scared(he really was but Kame Reiner has mastered what people in the present would call a poker face) he didn't let it shown. He raised his eyes brown a little. "It kinda make all kind of funny noise so you should be careful a bit there but it should hold"

 

 

Valasari's picture
Valasari
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 09/25/2017
EMRACE THE POOF!!!

~Kora~

 

     Kora was still sitting on the boulder. She smiled at Angus as he stomped his hoof impatiently. Kora realized that they group was moving downstream. She mounted Angus and turned him around. She nudged him into a trot. She followed them and they came to an old rickity bridge. She dismounted and walked towards the start of the bridge. She touched the over-growth of grass and fekt the stems of the flowers. They had a little bit of soot on them. Someone who works in an armoury has been here recently. ​She kept that information to herself.

    Kora watched as 'brave' Kame walked across the old bridge. Kora debated whether she should go next or wat until everyone else went. It would be the most dangerous if she went last, but safer for everone else.

    So she waved her hand back and forth, "I'll go last", she paused, then added something, "a: I am probably the smallest, b: It is safer for the lightest to go last". She looked from all the others, "if you all agree with me". She looked to Gail, she didn't understand why people didn't just treat her like one of them, that's what she was, one of them.

   "Unless you would like to go next", she smiled brightly at Gail.

     She liked having the company of other girls. She wasn't all by herself. She had nothing against boys, just look at how close she is with Baer and her friend, Shayne.

 

​(We should wait for the others to catch up with us :))

chameishida's picture
chameishida
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 08/01/2014
Kame Reinner

"Come on, we're burning daylights here!" Kame jokingly added, try to help and  encourage them from the opposite side seeing that they're still discussing.

((Sorry for such a quick reply after the last one, I just feel like it's completely in  character for him to add that right away, didn't mean to hurry anyone up! ^^))

Rheithebrave's picture
Rheithebrave
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 05/09/2017
"Its not what you get but what you do with it." -Xanadu

Byrn peered down at the raging water beneath the bridge and set his jaw. Heights, no, they weren't a problem, except when you were on unsteady ground. But seriously, anything good was accompanied by danger. Wrapping Fergus's reins about his hand, but then unwrapping them, he set off, walking out in front of his horse. Spread the weight, keep death late.

Fergus hesitated at the first plank of the bridge, and began to pull back, whinnying in protest as Byrn tried to make him cross. The shire lifted his head, nodding up and down, trying to yank his bridle from his riders hands. 

Byrn frowned, hiding his own nervousness with a frustrated groan. He crossed to stand in front of his horse, gently smoothing him in an attempt to calm him. Fergus pranced in place, eyes rolling slightly. Horses didn't like bridges to begin with, even the smallest ones. And a rickety long one above a swirling river, it was a wonder he had only spooked!

With plenty of reassuring, and several stops, the dou finally crossed to the other end of the bridge. Fergus almost bolted over the top of the young hunter as solid ground began again. And it was all Byrn could do to hold him back, huge creature that he was, unfortunately, a final creak of the bridge, and a wide swing, sent Fergus into enough if a panic that he did bolt, dragging Byrn face first into the dirt, and only stopping a good seven meters away.

Byrn rose, coughing and trying to brush dirt from his face. Great, he looked like an idiot.

Rheileen's Storm's picture
Rheileen's Storm
Offline
Berk's Power Player
Joined: 07/20/2017
Rosie!

I follow everyone through the woods. One of the men goes and finds us a bridge so we can cross a river. I smile to myself thank goodness, i m a pretty good swimmer it's of but Snowflake like lots of horses doesn't like swimming but they don't like bridges either. I get down and try to help her cross. Ahead of us I see the hunter fall down on his face Snowflake crosses and I run over to help him. "You okay?" I ask and try to help him wipe himself off I bring up my apron to help brush the dirt of his face.

Wolf and Star's picture
Wolf and Star
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 03/14/2014
Gail Cyrek ~20~

Gail started hesitantly forward then paused. The bridge’s wood was dark and squishy, rotting. It's primal roped handles were in tatters, the wet wood was chipped in some places and sagged in others. Gail had noticed the bridge from the crest on the hill, although, at the time it appeared to be an out of place brown blob.

"I'm not asking how you knew, but this should work.” The one called Bryn nodded.

Gail stared at him silently. She watched him stick his head back into the wall of underbrush and call to the remainder of the group. Ol’ shifty eyes whose name she didn't know had tagged along as well.

“Yes, exceptional observation, girl!” Shifty hesitated before adding on quietly. seriously though, I need to know what I can call you.”

'I'm just me. A lone word on the dusty surface of a torn page.’ Gail thought but, with one narrowed eye spoke “Girl will do just fine.” Of course, due to her quiet nature, she had no idea whether or not Shifty had heard her.

“Who wants to go first?" Bryn nudged his steed forward, addressing the remainder of the ragtag band.

“I heard about a man who drowned once, they couldn't save him even though all they had to do was take their foot off his head.” Gail joked.

“Well if no one else want to I can go first.” Shifty interrupted.

Gail glared at him, well, only one side of her face could make the expression, the other face was stuck in a permanent state of fury. Her death stare caused a woman to faint once. Speaking of women, Shifty clearly was experiencing buyers-remorse with their little gang.

 

Gail watched the brave (or is it stupid?) man cross the treacherous bridge. This was the first time Gail had ever seen him hesitant, although he appeared to be quite sure of himself. Almost humanized him. Almost.

“It kinda make all kind of funny noise so you should be careful a bit there but it should hold.” He announced once he crossed.

Gail just stared, she wouldn't trust Shifty as far as she could throw him, although, that analogy probably wasn't the best for her, she was pretty strong.

“I'll go last.” That was lion-chick. “I am probably the smallest, It is safer for the lightest to go last. If you all agree with me.”

“Unless you would like to go next.”

With a start, Gail realized that Lioness (as she decided to call her until she got a name) was speaking to her. She just stared blankly at Lioness.

“Come on, we're burning daylights here!" Shifty shouted over the roaring of the river.

Gail was about to turn and cross when Byrn had some masculinity complex and started to cross, only to get nearly stampeded by his horse.

 

Gail Pat her mare named Stilts, took the bae’s lead and stepped up to the bridge. The bae whinnied, reared and refused to cross. Stilts was strong but so was Gail,she yanked at the horse. Stilts slid back, clicking her teeth. Stubborn, Gail pulled harder, her muscles straining beneath her cloak. Her foot dug into the rotting wood with a disgusting squelching sound. Stilts suddenly reared, the lead was yanked from Gail’s grip. Horses do not naturally back up, their limbs simply aren't built for it, this worked to Gail's advantage because Stilts had at turn in order to flee buying Gail some precious time. Gail heaved herself over the horse’s back, landing with a thud on her other side and then slammed against her flank. Stilts stumbled to the side onto the bridge. Quickly, Gail threw herself onto the bae’s neck, covering her eyes with her cloak and stroking her snout. Without visibility, Stilts calmed, Gail felt the horse’s muscles soften against her side. Murmuring in a low, comforting tone, Gail lead Stilts across the bridge. She had a way with certain animals as she rested them they way she would like to be treated. Still, she wasn't perfect and about halfway across, Stilts censored. She thrashed and bucked, then cantered acorss the bridge, leaping onto the opposite bank. Still in a frenzy, she whinnied and bucked, snapping at everything around her. The sudden swift movement had really rattled the old bridge, the previous battle did not help. The bridge jerked and yanked and Gail’s foot fell clear through the already soaked wood. Gail silently opened her mouth as she was tossed aside, suspended above the roaring torrent.

 

Her arm muscles strained as Gail heaved herself back onto the bridge, panting she rolled over. Slowly, this time, she stood up and half stumbldd, half ran across. There was a loud popping sound, the rope that suspend the bridge frayed, Gail leaped across and tumbled onto the opposite bank, the rope snapped and half of the bridge fell into the water. Gail looked up, shaken on the bank, staring directly at Lioness who was left on the other side.

 

((Dun dun dunnnnnn))

Valasari's picture
Valasari
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 09/25/2017
EMRACE THE POOF!!!

~Kora~

 

​    Kora watched as Gail, she only knew her name because of the townfolk's tales, walked across the bridge and then stumbled. Kora knew that she could not help becuase two people would definitely break the all-ready old rope.

   She watched the rope as it began to break as Gail rushed across the bridge. Kora looked around and wondered if she was the last one to go across. ​At least the others are safe on the other side, ​she thought looking around. She saw Aerhth still on her side of the bridge, "after you", she said, gesturing to the bridge. 

    ​What am I doing? The possiblity of me d.ying from falling off into the rushing river. And worse, Angus might get hurt. What would Baer do if Angus d.ied? I just hope that everyone else will be safe.....

    ​Kora looked at Gail as she looked directly at her. Kora gave her a big smile, to hide her true feelings.

 

​(Just giving Arehth some time to catch up :))

Rheithebrave's picture
Rheithebrave
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 05/09/2017
"Its not what you get but what you do with it." -Xanadu

The merchant girl hurried across to help him, but Byrn shrugged her off. Dirt was dirt, and embarrassing as landing on ones face was, he could live. Unfortunately for their companions, the palsied girl almost didn't. In an attempt to get across the bridge with her hire, the made broke free and stampeded across, almost trampling Rose and himself under her hooves. Instinct kicked in and he knocked Rose out of the way, at the same time as the bridge swung heavily to one side.

Twap!

The support rope on the one side of the bridge snapped, causing it to swing crazily, tilting heavily to the right. Byrn frowned. How would the last few members of their team make it across?

The minstrel, the seamstress and the one man from the inn, the darkly dressed one, were yet to cross.

Byrn mentally made a note to descover the James of his companions, but right now they had quite the problem on their hands, and no clear answer.

Valasari's picture
Valasari
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 09/25/2017
EMBRACE THE POOF!!!

​(Bump)

Aerhth's picture
Aerhth
Offline
Viking Warrior
Joined: 01/18/2018
Aerhth Whaunt

Well, how thoughtful of you…

Aerhth imagined a sarcastic reply to Kora, making the decision to avoid the upcoming danger for now. Aerhth realized that he was the one who was best fit to make the journey next. But instead of continuing, he walked back to his horse, Gunter, and began looking through his saddlebag. After a few moments, he produced a thick rope and a large piece of fabric. He handed Kora the fabric as he walked past, “Make sure to blindfold him before you take him across”, he said sternly while gesturing to his horse as he approached the bridge.

There was one side still firmly attached to the other bank. Aerhth gripped the rope as he made his way across. The boards were of little use, dangling into the rushing water, and Aerhth scuffled along the ropes. The river caused the bridge to jerk and sway, even more so under Aerhth`s weight. A glance down at the water flow reminded Aerhth of the time when he escaped a group of bandits by leaping into a similar river. He smiled as he remembered the look on that lad`s face when he drudged himself onto shore while he was fishing, and then took a sharp breath when the rope gave another jerk. He continued on.

When he reached the end, instead of immediately getting himself to safety, he took the rope and tied it around his waist. He threw the other end to those on the bank.

“Get this hooked up to the horses and be ready to pull me up on my command”, he told them in a commanding tone of voice, “I`m going to go down, grab the rope and pull it back up. I`ll need you to have the horses ready to pull me, and the bridge, up to level so I can re-tie it.” He threw his personal bag onto shore, along with his new hammer. Bryn took the rope and went to tie it to his horse.

(sorry that I have taken so long to post. Just joined a track team, still getting used to the schedule readjustment.)

 

Rheithebrave's picture
Rheithebrave
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 05/09/2017
"Its not what you get but what you do with it." -Xanadu

Byrn grunted, and taking the satchel and ripe tossed up gto them, walked towards Fergus. "Hey there, don't worry we're not going back across." He looped his arm aground the horses neck, thus preventing any ways of escape. Slowly and carefully he tied the rope to his saddle. 

Thus was familiar in a way, his younger brother and himself had done this when they used to climb mountains, only never with a horse. Hopefully though the other man knew what he was doing, as when he had been young both he and his brother had been invited a few times just when climbing, this man wasn't even going to have anything solid to hold onto.

Byrn had to admit he was impressed, but also was beginning to doubt his companions reasoning.

Swinging himself into the saddle he nodded curtly at, Aerath was it?

 

Aerhth's picture
Aerhth
Offline
Viking Warrior
Joined: 01/18/2018
Aerhth Whaunt

Aerhth nodded back at Bryn. Bryn slowly led his horse forward, lowering Aerhth toward the rushing river. Aerhth gripped the rope with one hand and reached down with the other. Aerhth recoiled when his hand touched the water. It was cold, but he reached in nonetheless. His hand found the submerged wooden planks, and he ran his hand along them as he continued to descend. The water reached his shoulder now, Bryn momentarily stopping his horse. Aerhth took a deep breath after giving him the nod to continue. Aerhth struggled to keep focus on finding the rope through the freezing shock of the water on his face.

Got it! He gripped the rope in his calloused hand. He pulled himself out of the water, gasping for air. Bryn led his horse back, Aerhth beginning to rise out of the river. Aerhth groaned as he held on to the rope, struggling to support its weight. When the bridge had risen enough, Aerhth tied it to the rope he was fastened to.

Once the bridge was back to its proper position, Aerhth took the rope off his waist and threw it onto the post before stepping onto the ground. He gave Bryn the okay to slack off.

He turned to those still ashore, in an exasperated voice, “Next…”

Rheithebrave's picture
Rheithebrave
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 05/09/2017
"Its not what you get but what you do with it." -Xanadu

Byrn followed Aerhth's directions, watching every subtle hint that indicated if he should allow Fergus to continue. As the young man signaled them to pull him up, Byrn pulled back, and Fergus followed, slowly but carefully. Looking about at the other side, he watched as first the minstrel, then Gorm himself, crossed over the now repaired bridge. He nodded stiffly as the last person crossed. "Let's move out."

Valasari's picture
Valasari
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 09/25/2017
EMBRACE THE POOF!!!

​~Kora~

 

       Kora looked at the bridge. She was last. She flipped Angus's reins over his head and she held onto the as she put one foot on the first plank of wood on the bridge. She remembered the piece of cloth that Aerhth had given her and she put it gently over Angus's eyes, tying the bandana-like material to the head stall.

        Kora gently clucked to him to start moving. He took and uneasy step forward. She was happy to say that he trusted her completely. He clopped one-hoof after the other on the rickety bridge. He was a Gypsy Vanner, so he weighed a good 1000 pounds. She gently guided him across the bridge. She maneuvered him around te spot where poor Gail had tripped in.

        Kora watched as Angus's ears swiveled about, listening to very sound. Including the creaking of the bridge. He didn't bolt when Kora's foot slipped on the wet board. 

        Kora felt him take a step backward when the board made a loud creak.​ She began whispering to him, "easy buddy, c'mon. Just a little farther." Then she did what Baer showed her. She leaned closer and began whispering again, "fahin, maneer haslom". Angus began to relax and his shoulders began slumping. His head hung lower and he walked more smoothly.

          Kora stepped her foot on the soft, wet grass of the other side of the river. She clucked to him softly as he lifted his hoof and touched onto the grass as well. He made a soft neigh and  nudged Kora's back with his head. She laughed, a releived laugh and turned around and gave him a t-touch. She untied the blindfold and smiled to Aerhth, "thank you greatly for the blindfold. Angus was much calmer when he could not see where he was walking".

        Kora leaned over to Angus and flung the reins back over his head. She swiftly and gracefully mounted him. She leaned her body over his crest and whispered into his ear, while rubbing his neck, "that was a crazy trust exercise". His whinnied and jerked his head up playfully. She laughed and looked to Gail, with a smiling face, "Are you alright?"

Wolf and Star's picture
Wolf and Star
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 03/14/2014
A wild post appeared!!!

((i am confused))

Valasari's picture
Valasari
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 09/25/2017
EMBRACE THE POOF!!!

​(I have to say, so am I....)

Wolf and Star's picture
Wolf and Star
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 03/14/2014
A wild post appeared!!!

((what happened to the bridge?))

Valasari's picture
Valasari
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 09/25/2017
EMBRACE THE POOF!!!

​(It seems like someone (sorry I forgot who) fixed the rickety rope bridge and now, it is semi-fixed. It was half broken and then he fixed it.....I am semi-confused)

Wolf and Star's picture
Wolf and Star
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 03/14/2014
A wild post appeared!!!

((it was cut down the middle and had fallen into the river?))

Rheithebrave's picture
Rheithebrave
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 05/09/2017
"Its not what you get but what you do with it." -Xanadu

((Yeah, apparently Aerhth climbed down into the river and pulled the bridge back up, then he fixed it somehow. Idk, I don't like questioning other OC actions))

Aerhth's picture
Aerhth
Offline
Viking Warrior
Joined: 01/18/2018
frogs are delicious

Yes, my character got himself dunked to fix the bridge. By the way, the fabric was supposed to cover the eyes of MY horse

Valasari's picture
Valasari
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 09/25/2017
EMBRACE THE POOF!!!

(​Sorry...I was a little confunsed by the entire thing.)

Rheithebrave's picture
Rheithebrave
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 05/09/2017
I changed my topic for you guys, so let's move on!!!!!

Gorm stumbled around on dry land for a bit making Byrn simply shake his head in a cross of wonder and frustration. How had he signed up with these people again? And, how had he signed up for this again?!?!?!?!?!?!

Gold was a wonder, so helpful, so pleasant, so power giving, but yet, was it really worth all these bumbling ladies and chattering street urchins?

Yes, yes it had to be! He felt like slapping himself. Gold was worth it, once he had it he wouldn't have to worry about such things as people like these again. Well, Gorm, maybe, out of respect for an old friend, but other then that, no one.

"Gorm come on, up you come, can't have you snapping your leg." His tone was clearly annoyed, but inside he felt a warm fondness for the old fellow, a fondness he was trying very hard to hide.

With some trouble, the old fellow climbed back into the saddle which Byrn had vacated, and was handed the reins.

Removing his quiver from around the saddle bow he layer the strap across his chest and adjusted his bow in a likewise manner.

As they moved on, Byrn savored the fading light, the slight chill that ran through the trees as the sun began its descent behind the mountains. The light shining down on them, warming them through as its fire began to fade. Birds sand their fading tunes, and the earth prepared to sleep. All the earth, but them.

Crackling of leaves beneath hooves, horses snorting and breathing heavily, and the minstrel, strumming gently on a lute.

Byrn glowered at a nearby tree. Shut out the songs of birds for some ridiculous stringed instrument. Yes of course, totally acceptable.

Even worse, the instrument and its owner were making their way towards him, with the looks of making some noise. Byrn rolled his eyes and slumped his shoulders. Couldn't the man see he was making a lath for them?

"I've observed what a fine pathfinder you are young master.....?"

"Byrn." 

"...master Byrn. Quite the scout, and from the looks of your bow," he plucked the string "a hunter as well."

Burn pulled back. "First of all, I instantly regret telling you my name. Secondly, do not touch my bow. And I mean, never."

The minstrel smiled at him. "My apologies friend. I Kent no harm. I see a string pulled taught and I must pluck." He demonstrated with his lute and Byrn nodded cold!y.

"As I was, I have observed in you since the moment we began, you are a most...well, loyal companion. Despite your outer face you have already given your horse for a old man, and saved a damsel in danger. Are you quite sure you come from that little village of vile villains?"

Bryn trued to ignored him. 

"Forgive my chatter, but I sensed a kindred spirit."

What did that mean?

 

(Had to do something with the bard, he literally has only walked and crossed.)

Rheileen's Storm's picture
Rheileen's Storm
Offline
Berk's Power Player
Joined: 07/20/2017
Rosie!

((Woah she changed her subject.))

I felt awkward for a second but then Byrn got up and helped to fix the bridge and then we set off again. Byrn shared his horse with Gorm and the bard (what's his name?) Followed Byrn and started talking to him. I rode on Snowflake. Byrn seemed happy for a time and then he seemed stressed and then he seemed intrigued. I wonder what the band was saying to him!

Wolf and Star's picture
Wolf and Star
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 03/14/2014
Gail Cyrek ~20~

The sun was climbing down in the sky, alighting the sky with vibrant reds, oranges and soft purples. Already, the first star had begun to reveal itself in the ombre sky. Out here with no oil lamps to pollute it, Gail was able to see the fast stretch of stars, wrapping like a belt all the way around the planet, orbiting around Earth ((I know it's not accurate,when I researched, I dead that they still believed that Earth was at the center of the universe.)) There was some casual banter between Bryn and the Bard.

“Careful, or his ego might get too large for this planet to bear.”

Gail muttered as she passed the Minstrel and Bryn. As usual, she had no idea whether or not they heard her.

"Forgive my chatter, but I sensed a kindred spirit."

Gail rolled her eyes, she stroked Stilt’s ears, covered them with her palms then tucked her tongue in and vibrated it gently. The sound that came out of it was a light rattling noise. The minstrel yelped as his steed spooked, it shot forward nervously, picked up it's hooves and stamped around, dodging to the other side of the group before calming. Gail shot Byrn a innocent glance before pulling lightly on the reins. As Stilt's slowed, she looked up, squinting against the darkened trial, she observed the surroundings before turning to Bradyn Gorm who was catching up. Riding side by side with him, she whispered something in his ear.

 

“What a lovely idea!” Gorm declared much louder than Gail had expected. She shifted uncomfortably. “Gail says that we should scope out a place to set up camp.”

Gail flinched, now they all knew her name. She whispered something else to him.

“Oh, scratch that! Gail found a place!” Gorm declared with much bravado.

Gail nickered and squeezed the sides of her horse, pulling Stilts into a canter, the bae rode ahead, Gail slowed her to a trot. She banked left and led the group to a large rocky outcropping. They had long since left the forest, now the ground was hard and rocky under foot with nary a tree in sight. Gail had located one particularly large jagged rock which would be a prime place to water and rest the horses. There was surrounding smaller outcroppings for the humans to rest under. Already the night chill had begun nipping at her arms, and Aeryth, having gotten soaked earlier that day, must of been getting the blunt of it. The rocks would offer some protection from the elements and sine the surrounding area was treeless, the large rock would make a great look out. One could probably see for miles up there.

Rheithebrave's picture
Rheithebrave
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 05/09/2017
"Its not what you get but what you do with it." -Xanadu

As the minstrel continued his incessant prattling, a strange sound reached them, causing the mans horse to censored. Byrn halted and turned to look and see what the noise was, just in time to see the girl, the palsied one, smile innocently at him. He ignored her. No way was he warming up, or opening up, to this group.

He stepped out again to continue, at the same time Gorm spoke out, a mite loudly, “Gail says that we should scope out a place to set up camp! "

Byrn turned, Gail? The palsied pass turned away, looking bobotboboth frustrated and embaressed.

“Oh, scratch that! Gail found a place!” 

So that was her name, Gail. Byrn mentally checked her name off oof the list of names to learn. 

As she does on ahead he followed. The blade she found was good, how she knew it it was a mystery, as from what he could tell, none of these folk had ever crossed the bridge before. But then again, Gail had known about that too.

instead of making his presence known, he watched her, like a Fox and a rabbit.

How did she know so much about this outside world?

As the others came trolling into the clearing, he followed. Gorm dismounted and Byrn took Fergus too the lake. Working smoothly and gently. He unchinched the saddle, and gently combed the bridle. Trying a worn role halted in its place he  slowly ran his hands over the great horse.

An uncommon warmth, and tensed muscles in the back caught his attention, making him frown. so as Fergus drank, the young hunter slowly messages his horses back, listening the muscles with well placed rubs and pressing.

As he finished, a  twig snapping caught his attention.

Drawing an arrow to his bow, Byrn silently made his way towards the foresters again. In a second the arrow was off. Byrn darted into the trees, only to come back out with a cat rabbit.

 "Dinner."

chameishida's picture
chameishida
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 08/01/2014
Kame Reinner

Kame made a mental note to himself that this is why he doesn't like horse, watching one by one guiding their horses companion across the bridge with difficulties. He wandered if he could be any of the help, he may not like them, but they seem to like him to his displeasing and perhaps he could use that to his adventage. Before he could bring himself to do it however, the third horse, Girl(?)'s one suddenly thrash and sent her and the bridge tumbled down. "H--Hey! Watch out! hold on!!" Kame shouted with genuine concern and ready to make a move even if he doesn't know what he'd yet(he could swim well?) but Girl actually were able to heaved her self back on safely. Her expression though partly obscured by the hood show a little emotion but not by much and she still remained mostly quiet and cold as their first meeting. This slightly concern Kame.

"That scared me! but at least you're alright but the bridge...there has got to be another way across" He frowned at the old bridge and for other person who have yet to make to across; Kora, Aerhth, Gorm and the not-yet-named minstel.

He couldn't hear what Kora and Aerhth said to each other and they wouldn't be able to hear him too over the roaring water so imagine Kame's gaping surprise when Aerhth daringly jumped down the river with the robe. The sudden of the action shocked Kame and left him speechless even though it's something he's also capable of. okay maybe capable of swimming but not entirelr fixing the bridge by gathering the broken part from underwater. This has seriously earned Kame's silent admiration for the man(that he wouldn't admit it out loud...okay maybe he would) "You're seriously wicked" Kame whispered at the man.

With Aerhth having saved the day the rest of the crossing is not as eventful as Girl's or Aerhth's himself. Kora made in across the last with the blindfolded horse.

"Now that that fisrt life and death experience has gone out of the way...!" Kame signed before gesture toward the way forward "Onward we go, shall we?"

-------------------------------------------------------------

Kame was being...shifty, ironically unaware of the nickname most of the crew mentally given to him. After the bridge inccident and they continued travel on with little as the quite mumbler and some banters, Kame stole a few gaze toward Girl, at this point he has mentally concluded that she's the quiet reserved kind of character...perhaps a little insecure and shy but it's different than that of the hunter man, Bryn as he heard his name, there's something more about her that somehow captured Kame's curiosity, something unnerved about the way she reacted, the way she answerd and some unspoken atmosphere of the town people whenever she's around. Nosy, that what he would be if kept questioning things like this.

"Gail says that we should scope out a place to set up camp!" Gorm announced. Oh so her name is Gail. The girl somewhat furiously pulled the one legged innkeeper for another whispering round, an expected reaction. Then Gorm said once more "“Oh, scratch that! Gail found a place!” 

"That's twice you got us cover, splendid!" Kame complimented, trying something. The others started to settled down, with Bryn imedietally able to fetch them a rabbit.

Aerhth's picture
Aerhth
Offline
Viking Warrior
Joined: 01/18/2018
Aerhth Whaunt

Your as stubborn as a mule, Aerhth

Aerhth thought to himself as he shuddered again against the cold. He had mostly dried off but was still a little damp. It was growing dark, the temperature dropping to an uncomfortable level. He should have insisted that they set up camp over an hour ago.

“What a lovely idea!”, the innkeeper proclaimed, out of the blue, “Gail says that we should scope out a place to set up camp.”

Well, thinking of the devil…

“Oh, scratch that! Gail found a place!” Gail had already gone ahead and led them to a large clearing. It was a good spot; It had a large rock from which one could keep watch for miles, and there were no trees, which kept everyone safe from falling branches. Everyone began to dismount, Aerhth following suit, when Bryn suddenly rushed into the brush. He emerged moments later with a slain rabbit in tow. “Dinner,” was his succinct proclamation.

Aerhth smiled, “I`ll get a fire going.” He took some flint out of his saddle bag and walked over to the nearby brush to find some wood and kindling. He reached into his cloak to draw out a large knife, but something felt off. He felt around some more, and grimaced; he had lost two good knives in the river. The large knife he was seeking was still there, but a nice throwing knife and his favorite whittling knife were gone. He drew the large knife and cut off some branches from a bush for kindling, and then walked over to a tree with a small, low-hanging branch. He reached up, grabbed it, and wrenched it off the tree. He was about to continue to another tree when he noticed a lone dandelion right next to the tree. It wasn`t common for them to be growing alone. Aerhth stooped down, plucked it up, and ate the bulb and some of the stem. It had a nice, crisp taste. Shame there aren`t any more, Aerhth thought to himself, would`ve made a nice tea.

Aerhth finished collecting wood and returned to camp. Bryn was still working on skinning and gutting the rabbit. Aerhth dumped the wood onto the ground and got to work. He took the bush branches and bundled them up tight. He struck the flint with his knife a few times to generate sparks. The kindling caught one, lit, and before long Aerhth had a suitable cooking fire going. Everyone else had settled in, so he left to set up his sleeping arrangements while Bryn began cooking the rabbit. He took off Gunter`s saddle bag, saddle, and the various blankets underneath, which would become his mattress. He found a suitable place to set his stuff down, a flat space down near the fire.

Aerhth cleared his throat and addressed the group, “Okay, now that we`re all settled in, we need to set up watch rotations,” he began, gaining nods from some, motionlessness from others, “It would be best to awake about an hour before sunrise, it`s an hour past sunset now, so we have nine hours and eight people. That would mean everyone has to watch for an hour and ten minutes, more or less. Those who have more experience with being a lookout, mainly Bryn, Kora, and I, will get the earlier hours of the morning, while everyone else will either be closer to the beginning and end of the night. So, my suggestion is that Gorm take first watch, then Rosie, and, sorry, what`s your name, sir?” Aerhth asked the minstrel

“Ah, yes,” The minstrel began, getting to his feet, “Forgive me for forgoing introductions. I am Lucas Giuppson, Proclaimer of…”

“Lucas, then Kame, Bryn, Kora, myself, and Gail. Any objections?”

(#1: We needed a name for the minstrel, so I took the initiative. Sue me don`t sue me. #2: Wolf, I looked it up and there are no rattlesnakes in Europe, making it very unlikely for the horse to know what that sound is and impossible for Gail to know what one sounded like.)

 

Rheithebrave's picture
Rheithebrave
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 05/09/2017
"Its not what you get but what you do with it." -Xanadu

Byrn fast aside his cloak and settled down crossover to skin his catch. It wasn't a big rabbit. Not much larger then his head. But it was rather plump for its size, a good thing it he was going to eat it.

Lopping off its head, he began to skin it. Going about the task effortlessly and almost daftly. He slit it's belly open and allowed the organs to spill out, a putrid smell filled the air and he hissed. A word he would later regretted saying slipped off his tongue as he ran to grab his canteen. "....had to have just eaten."

A steady than of water from the flask cleaned off the, well I'll say unsavory moisture, that had spilled onto the meat. Cleaning the rabbit finished without a hitch. And Byrn managed to cut it up into several small chunks, dropping them into a small kettle he had strapped to Fergus's nearby saddle. With some water from the river, and a pinch of salt, he started it cooking over the fire Aerhth had made.

The traveler begabegabn organizing watches, and in the process, the names of their other companions came out.

The minstrel was Lucus. The innocent girl was Rosie, probably short for Rose, or Rosemary.

Kame was the shifty one. 

Gail was the palsied one.

And then there was himself and Gorm.

As Aerhth looked about to make sure they were alright with his watch schedual, Byrn nodded stiffly.

 "Fine."

 lifting his kettle from the fire, he carried it to where Fergus lay and began eating.

Valasari's picture
Valasari
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 09/25/2017
EMBRACE THE POOF!!!

~Kora~

 

​     Kora stared at the others. She didn't feel like talking, so she dismounted Angus and tossed his reins over his head. She knew better than to tie them to a tree. For if he were to bolt, he would run the risk of ripping his teeth. So, instead she just held them. Kora smelled the food, ​he is a very good cook.

    ​She stood up and then gave Angus a hand gesture. He stared at Kora like she was crazy, but he obeyed and he laid down on the ground and made a huff. Kora laughed, he did the funniest things.

     She sat down next to him and layed her pack down on te ground. She opened it and pulled out a carrot. She gave it to him flat-handed and he started munching on it. She then pulled out her rolled up blacket and laid it over top of Angus. So he could be like a pillow for her.

      Kora, feeling more tired then hungry, laid down on Angus's stomach. He was very soft. She loved the smell of his coat. She smelled it and it smelled like home. She put her hands behind her head and looked at the sky. She closed her eyes and then picked up oher cloak and wrapped herself in it. She pulled the hood over her face.

Wolf and Star's picture
Wolf and Star
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 03/14/2014
Gail Cyrek ~20~

    

 

((I don't care what the minstrels name is. Secondly, rattled was the wrong choice of words, I will admit that. My brain farted and I had completely forgotten what I was doing. Don't sure if that's ever happened to you.))

As Gail sent Stilts in a slow trot around the perimeter of the camp, checking for snakes or other potential disasters, she felt suspicious eyes on her. She looked up and locked gaze with Byrn, the standoffish, chivalrous Hunter. She had also caught Ol’ Shifty stealing the occasional glance at her and was fed up. Byrn stared at her with an air of skepticism and questioning, Gail made a point to turn away from him, pointing her messed up face in his direction. Chivalry, as she decided to nickname him tore his gaze from her and focused on unclipping his horse's saddle. Gail pulled outwards in the reins, Stilts whipped her head as she turned and trotted in the opposite direction, Gail made sure to give him the sign of the horns as they trotted away.

“Dinner!” Chivalry had appeared from the woods after Gail’s second loop around the campsite. He proud help the disfigured shape of a dead rabbit in his grasp. Was one measly rabbit enough for all 8 of them?

 

"That's twice you got us cover, splendid!" Shifty grinned broadly at her.

Gail turned to face him, stuck out her tongue theat him. question was in all of their eyes “how”? Gail sniffed, spending long nights away from home in the woods where there were no prying eyes had taught Gail enough basic survival lessons. She had learned the hard way that cover had to be protected from the elements, although she did not know the first thing about hunting. Mostly, those days she simply scavenged for food. Shrugging she dismounted Stilt's and parked her underneath the overhang, tying her lead to a log. She unbuckled the girth, removed the saddle and saddle pad and placed them over the log. Gail then removed the uncomfortable bit from the horse's mouth. By the time Walnut returned to camp, Chivalry had finished gutting and skinning his kill, he began to place the logs for a fire. Gail wandered over, it was father hard to find any more wooden logs. She lucked out when she located a decent-sized, flat topped rock. Gail dug out from around it, grabbed a hold of it and hoisted it up, pushing with her legs. Her arm muscles strained against the sheer weight of it. She lugged it over to the camp and heaved it up the largest rocky outcropping. The rock flattened out at the top, allowing for dirt and a few bushes. She set to work digging out a small patch of dirt. This was no easy task as the ground underfoot was packed and hard.

 

“Okay, now that we`re all settled in, we need to set up watch rotations.”

Walnut began with a cough. Gail continued working as he spoke.

“It would be best to awake about an hour before sunrise, it`s an hour past sunset now, so we have nine hours and eight people. That would mean everyone has to watch for an hour and ten minutes, more or less. Those who have more experience with being a lookout, mainly Bryn, Kora, and I, will get the earlier hours of the morning, while everyone else will either be closer to the beginning and end of the night.”

By now, Gail had finally dug out a hollow patch of earth. She placed the rock down then scrapped the earth around the rock and sat down on it. It was extremely sturdy, her grin was very lopsided, one side of her face had broken into a broad smile while the other remained stone-cold. Still, Gail beamed at the look-out chair she made.

So, my suggestion is that Gorm take first watch, then Rosie, and, sorry, what's your name, sir?” Walnut asked the minstrel
“Ah, yes,” The minstrel began, getting to his feet, “Forgive me for forgoing introductions. I am Lucas Gipson, Proclaimer of…”
“Lucas, then Kame, Bryn, Kora, myself, and Gail. Any objections?”

Gail blinked then shrugged, her shift would give her the time to wake up. It was fine by her.

 

((I love all of the nicknames. XD. Right, eventful night or should they get robbed? I need for the horses to go away somehow, getting robbed seems like a good option.))

chameishida's picture
chameishida
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 08/01/2014
Kame still trying to be the team player

 ((ah the stuff I wrote gone when I accidentally close the tab, rip))

Kame is not immune to such surprise and was flabbergasted although admirably in silent, still it's quite an obvious reaction, one that the girl likely expected even though she turned around in the first place and therefore would have missed it. It was just that though and the shock settled, leaving solem Kame with the new found understanding

Ah, so this is what this is about.

---------------------

"So---!" Kame said, clapped his hand together, after the others has agreed with Bryn the hunter's suggestion "Anyone has a good campfire stories? I know we've been traveling the whole day but there're still sometime left before the proper time any of us would want to hit the sack anyway. The fire is nice, sure you don't want to join in?" He turned to called at Kora at the last part seeing that she chose the company of her horse instead.

Kame know he's likely making himself obnoxious at this point, especially considering how socially adapted half of the group are, but getting the interaction rolling is still something Kame deemed essential to such mission and giving up is not in his vocaburaly yet.

Rheithebrave's picture
Rheithebrave
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 05/09/2017
"Its not what you get but what you do with it." -Xanadu

ByrnByrn shrugged. "Haven't good stories since I was a kid." He mumbled. Setting the kettle back at the fire with most of ththe soup still inside he motioned vaguely to it.

 "Help yourselves. And Kame, we're taking watch. Sleep up all you can. Stories come after we're in a safe place." He shot him a glance. This man traveler often? Either he never slept, or he relied on everyone else to do the watching most of the time.

 walking over to Fergus he settled down, back to back with his horse. The lion girl, whose name he had already forgotten, was doing likeways. Byrn glanced over the camp one last time.

Gorm was settling down in a hollow between two tree roots, and Lucid was still sitting looking insulted at being interupted, making the old innkeeper another quietly to himself.

Byrn thanked thae Maker they hadn't brought any rum, or Gorm would be utterly useless.

As everyone settled down, started their watch it finished with their meal, Byrn tried his hardest to simply sleep. And surprisingly, he hard to try very hard. His attentive ears picked up on so many noises, horses munching the grass,  gentle footsteps of the person on watch duty. Lucas was it?

Fortunately the sounds of the forest finally lulled him to sleep.

Valasari's picture
Valasari
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 09/25/2017
EMBRACE THE POOF!!!

~Kora~

 

      Kora stared at Kame, ​was this guy for real? Does he really know what he's doing? ​Kora looked back at the sky. There was no was thatshe was going to fall asleep while that guy was on watch duty. For all she knew, he would fall asleep and they all would get attacked. She hoped that they knew that this forest was in Bandit Territory.

      Kora staraed at the sky, not falling asleep. She sat up and pat Angus on hte nose, who was already snoozing. She chuckled a bit, he was so funny.

       Kora laid her hand back on him and looked into the dark forest...waiting for danger. She looked to her right and placed her hand on her sword and her other hand on her bow. ​I'll be ready for danger.

chameishida's picture
chameishida
Offline
Supreme Viking Champion
Joined: 08/01/2014
Pain

Kame's smile remain politely plastered on his face even after being shutted down, man these guys are stiff as a rock. This group is doomed at this point.

"Oh come on friends, you're being too serious. Sitting around the fire, chatting with your friends, take your mind of things for only a few minute, aren't no other better stuff to be doing after the tiring days and tiring times. It makes you sleep better if anything" Kame insisted but don't make a fuss when Bryn walk away either way. He decided to turn toward the rest; Rosie, Lucus, Gorm, Aerhth and Gail. 'this is your field of work' Kame mentally screamed at Lucus, as he glared "Ah, suit your self. What about you? Anything? Gorm? Anything you want to talk about? the old days, your adventure, you're going to be up either way might as well do something, right?"