Fishing 101

32 replies [Last post]
Brynjolf's picture
Brynjolf
Forum Admin

Hi, Vikings! Thanks for providing some awesome tips on great fishing spots around Berk. We figured it may be helpful to provide some tips on fishing so here is a step-by-step guide to help you fish in School of Dragons:

1. Walk up to a body of water. Get close enough so a fishing icon appears beneath your avatar. Click the icon to enter into fishing mode.
2. Click on the bag next to your avatar and choose bait to start fishing. If you don't have any bait, go to the store by clicking on the shopping cart icon in the top right of the screen. Once in the store, select the fishing tab and then the bait tab to purchase bait.
3. Once bait has been chosen, click on the Cast icon. You will notice that the Cast icon turns into a Strike! icon. The game will signal for you to click on the Strike! icon when “Strike!” appears on the screen. After you have clicked the Strike! button, it will turn into a Reel button.
4. In order to reel in the fish, two methods can be used depending on which type of rod you have:

Basic Rod: If you are using the rod you began the game with, you can either press and hold the space bar or click on the Reel button to reel in the fish. Try to keep the cursor in the green portion of the meter by pressing and holding either the space bar or Reel button when the cursor is in this area and releasing if it gets too close to the red area on the right (if the cursor moves too close to the left, click Reel or press the space bar to move the cursor toward the middle). Getting too close or into the red areas will cause you to lose your bait or the string to snap.

Improved/Advanced Rod: With gems, you can purchase an upgraded fishing rod. After following steps 1 through 3, you will notice you now have a Drag button. Following the same instructions as the Basic Rod to reel in the fish, clicking on the Drag button will cause the cursor to move left when it moves too far to the right. Be careful not to overcompensate with the Drag button as it can also cause the string to snap or the bait to get lost! Alternating between the Reel and Drag buttons will help you bring in the fish.

We hope this guide helps you become a better fisherman at School of Dragons. Please let us know if you have any more questions. Thanks for playing!

Trainer M's picture
Trainer M
Viking Warrior
Thanks for clearin things

Thanks for clearin things out.

But I have 3 questions about fishing:

1-You know Salmon is needed in tasks and noway we can fish it with basic rods. So are you gonna do something about that like turning it's price to gold, adding new gold-price rod, or making a feature of gaining gems at anyway?

2-How to raise the fishing level and how does it affect our fishing skills?

3-Is there going to be new kinds of baits to choose with different effects?

Before you fly...you'll fall down

It's all about trust

Harmonica's picture
Harmonica
Drott
You can catch Salmon with the

You can catch Salmon with the basic rod, it's just VERY hard. I only managed to catch 3 out of the many I came across. Sometimes I wouldn't even have to reel, they would just start struggling and snap my line without me touching a thing.

Maybe invite some friends in the game and ask them to sign up? You get 50 free gems for each friend, so depending on how many gems you have, you should be able to afford the Advanced Rod with 3 friend invites. That's what I had to do. It's worth it to jump right to the Advanced Rod. It makes things so much easier!

I had to hold off on one or two quests that required salmon until I got the advanced rod, since there was no way I was going to get more salmon with the basic rod. 

A tip with the Advanced Rod: You can hold down the space bar to reel and keep the mouse on the drag, and only click when the meter is in the red. You'll have to click more for fish like salmon and eels which fight more, but you'll be able to catch them easily. You don't have to let go of the space bar at all. 

I'm not sure on fishing levels, I've caught hundreds of fish and mine is still 1.

Viking: "Beetle K-Lee" Level 15

Dragon: Indy, Monstrous Nightmare, Level 20

Friend Code: 1QPF4

Daddy Skeel's picture
Daddy Skeel
Forager
50 gems by invinte

Harmonica wrote:

You can catch Salmon with the basic rod, it's just VERY hard. I only managed to catch 3 out of the many I came across. Sometimes I wouldn't even have to reel, they would just start struggling and snap my line without me touching a thing.

Maybe invite some friends in the game and ask them to sign up? You get 50 free gems for each friend, so depending on how many gems you have, you should be able to afford the Advanced Rod with 3 friend invites. That's what I had to do. It's worth it to jump right to the Advanced Rod. It makes things so much easier!

I had to hold off on one or two quests that required salmon until I got the advanced rod, since there was no way I was going to get more salmon with the basic rod. 

A tip with the Advanced Rod: You can hold down the space bar to reel and keep the mouse on the drag, and only click when the meter is in the red. You'll have to click more for fish like salmon and eels which fight more, but you'll be able to catch them easily. You don't have to let go of the space bar at all. 

I'm not sure on fishing levels, I've caught hundreds of fish and mine is still 1.

I have now atleast one or more friends that has startet playing this trough facebook. The have activated their ccount, and still I havenøt seen any free gems. I do would like free gems, so I can get a better fishing rod, and a farming dispenser.

Daddy Skeel

Leader of the Clan:

"The Danish Vikings"

Daddy Skeel's picture
Daddy Skeel
Forager
50 gems by invinte

Harmonica wrote:

I have now atleast one or more friends that has startet playing this trough facebook. The have activated their ccount, and still I havenøt seen any free gems. I do would like free gems, so I can get a better fishing rod, and a farming dispenser.

Brynjolf's picture
Brynjolf
Forum Admin
Fishing

Trainer M wrote:

Thanks for clearin things out.

But I have 3 questions about fishing:

1-You know Salmon is needed in tasks and noway we can fish it with basic rods. So are you gonna do something about that like turning it's price to gold, adding new gold-price rod, or making a feature of gaining gems at anyway?

2-How to raise the fishing level and how does it affect our fishing skills?

3-Is there going to be new kinds of baits to choose with different effects?

To answer your questions, we plan on releasing more rods in the future with varying prices. Stay tuned to see when those new items come out. The fishing level has yet to be implemented. We're planning on using that in future updates of the game. Our team has been brainstorming using different types of bait and are working on these ideas. We welcome any suggestions you may have. Feel free to post your ideas in our Suggestions board.

Trainer M's picture
Trainer M
Viking Warrior
Thank you, that was helpful.

Thank you, that was helpful. And yes I posted a suggestion and would like to see your reply on it. "Tradiner's Trading Spot" thread in suggestions forum.

Rumil
Supreme Viking Champion
Some more tips that can be

Some more tips that can be useful:

1) it's better to fish in your farm. The distance between you and the fish is shorter than in other bodies of water. This allows you to fish more and faster and gives you the chance to fish also salmon and eels - i got a salmon with a basic rod!! Another point to it is you can wait for your crops to grow while fishing, and it can save you some time.

2) about eels: they move a lot but often when they get in the right red bar they come back at last (not the same holds for salmons...). In general, when a fish stops for a few seconds in the right red bar help it coming back with a brief reeling.

3) don't give up with eels just because they're useless in feeding your dragon! There are some achievements about fishing them which give you money, not to mention the viking board which gives you a generous reward for fishing 10 eels.

4) some statistics:

- perch: your dragon regains 5 life points. You can find them mostly in the lake near the School (but also in your farm);

- brown trout: your dragon regains 10 life points. You can find them in the lake near the School or better in the Wilderness (but also in your farm);

- herring: your dragon regains 5 life points. They can be found mostly in the beaches of the School;

- halibut: your dragon regains 10 life points. They can be found mostly in the beaches of the School;

- eel: your dragon regains no points and its happiness goes down a lot. Useful only for money. You can get them everywhere but not so often;

- salmon: your dragon regains 15 life points. Can be found everywhere, not so often, and they're the hardest to fish.

Sorry if I missed something or something is wrong. Hope it can be helpful!

Swift Silver's picture
Swift Silver
Supreme Viking Champion
Perch and Herring also add +5

Perch and Herring also add +5 to your dragons happiness meter. :)

Joined the wonderful Phantom Lord family competing in the Race To Dawn Tournament

An amazing piece of artwork by my brother Diamond       All credit to Northlark for this brilliant artwork 

Wonderfully made by Siren Spirit. 

In game Vikings

Swift Silver                                                                                Player One

46NXN                                                                                        243FR

Misty (Zippleback)                                                                     Sharp Wing (Deadly Nadder)

All credit to 'Asvald Veleif' for this amazing gifBanner by Diamond Racer

Rumil
Supreme Viking Champion
You're right! Thanks! ... Odd

You're right! Thanks!

Odd that salmons don't add happiness...

EpicDragonG's picture
EpicDragonG
Forager
Great info, thanks!

The additional info you provided is helpful and very much appreciated. Thanks :)

EpicDragonG

Robo Dog clan

Stormie's picture
Stormie
Jarl
Eels and fast money

I just wanted to talk about eels for a bit.

I see eels as being EXTREMELY useful when it comes to making money. It costs about 80 coins to buy 10 lugworm bait, therefore about 80 coins to caught 10 eels. The Quest Board will give you 150 coins for 10 eels, which means a profit of 70 coins, the most of almost any quest as of yet. 

The best place to catch eels is by the small island in the lake in the Wilderness. (You can see eels jumping here- don't worry, it's not to hard to find.) You can walk out into the water a certain ways and be able to fish from there, (Or you can fish from the shore. It really doesn't matter in the end, because the distance is the same.) The distance you have to reel is a lot shorter, about the same amount as in your Farm when you fish. This means you can caught a large amount of eels fast, meaning a lot of money fast.

Have fun fishing!

Comic Sans

Such Style I have

Did someone say... 

Dragons?

Rumil
Supreme Viking Champion
Thank you for the useful

Thank you for the useful tips! I found out only recently that there are fishing zones in which chances of getting a certain fish are higher. Salmons are under the waterfall in the Wilderness and eels are on the island.

There's only one thing I have to point out: since it's not sure you can fish 10 eels with 10 baits (you may find other fishes or lose your eel), you can't rely upon an exactly 70 gold profit every time. But still is a good way for making money. I prefer farming, though, because you don't need to stay there and the profits are certain.

thenightmaregirl
Drott
hi,im just asking how to

hi,im just asking how to increase your fishing level??

code:2D2SQ
name:nightmare girl
dragon:nightmare :)

Lemoneyedragon's picture
Lemoneyedragon
Supreme Viking Champion
*sighs*Well, it was said

*sighs*

Well, it was said allready in the previous comments that there is no way to do that- at least not yet...

Jormungandr banner by Polyester

Name

Inna [In-ah] (level 10) (friend code: ZNG17): The sarcastic racer. 

Dragon

Rosethorn [Rose-thorn] (level 20)- Mud- coated nadder

Clan

Clan Jormungandr-"We encompass the earth! Without each other, we will fall apart!"

Jennifer Fire's picture
Jennifer Fire
Supreme Viking Champion
Whats the difference between

Whats the difference between advanced rod and improved rod? XD

Awsome Teal banner by Asvald Veleif

"Why read words when you can just kill the stuff the words tell you stuff about" -Snotlout

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amazing gif by Nessie

Swift Silver's picture
Swift Silver
Supreme Viking Champion
The red ends of the bar are

The red ends on the fishing bar are shorter with the advanced rod than the improved rod. Otherwise there is no real difference. :)

The Dragon Rider's picture
The Dragon Rider
Supreme Viking Champion
fishing rods

one costs more?

"So that's how you're going to play this game, eh game!?"       

Swift Silver's picture
Swift Silver
Supreme Viking Champion
Good point. :)

Good point. :)

Dynasty Warrior
Chief
Lol 

Lol 

Jennifer Fire's picture
Jennifer Fire
Supreme Viking Champion
Thanks everyone! XD

Thanks everyone! XD

PyroLuna
Jarl
Salmon

I really hope they offer a fishing pole for gold soon. I need salmon and don't want to use up all of my gems on a fishing rod, or a couple salmon. Or there could be another way to get salmon, maybe Johann could offer a trade of 2 brown trouts for 1 salmon or something. 

Viking: Ashwick lvl 10

Dragon: IronBlaze lvl 12 Monsterous Nightmare

Clan: Fire Circle

Myna
Jarl
I hope the game have the

I hope the game have the fishing rod in gold price soon

I lost 10+ baits and still can't catch the salmon

Now I'm stuck with the quest

It's Butter.'s picture
It's Butter.
Supreme Viking Champion
it is extremely hard to catch

it is extremely hard to catch salmon with the basic rod.
i can advise you to fish at your farm, since the distance between the fish and you is shorter.
(tip: when you catch a salmon there, keep clicking the mouse continuously, until it reaches the red part, stop then and it's does go back to green usually. Then just keep pressing the mouse button for short amount of times and really fast.) i managed to catch a few this way XD

-The RealButter  

Aryanire's picture
Aryanire
Wilderness Explorer
Fishing 101 - Eels

Hi, 

What should i do with the eels? I can't feed them to Aedra, and they keep stacking up. i can't sell them in a trading post. What's the point of them?

Never argue with an idiot, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

I like long walks, especially when taken by people who annoy me.

It's Butter.'s picture
It's Butter.
Supreme Viking Champion
you can sell them to johan

you can sell them to johan :o
10 eels for 150 coins

or are you ahving som bug with that?

Aryanire's picture
Aryanire
Wilderness Explorer
Eels

Johan? Who is he and where is he?

It's Butter.'s picture
It's Butter.
Supreme Viking Champion
he's almost everywhere xDin

he's almost everywhere xD

in your farm, in the school right next to astrid, and somewhere in berk :p

he gives you these deals. get a certain amount of fish, and he'll give you money in exchange c:

thats the only thing you can do with eels, sell them :D

KareKare's picture
KareKare
Supreme Viking Champion
Salmon and Eggs

If you want to catch salmon in your farm, you can use eggs as bait. I have done it five or six times now and always gotten salmon. Except for the one brown troat. I don't know whether they are easier to catch with eggs, but it lets you choose where you want to catch them.

Going to update this eventually,

in the meantime, you can also find me on: 

DeviantArt

Tumblr

YouTube                                                            

Bluch's picture
Bluch
Jarl
Salmon love chicken eggs

When you use chicken eggs as bait you can catch salmon anywhere. And it looks to me like no other fish bites when I use eggs. Except sometimes an eel might censored the egg but that won't happen a lot.

To get some gold for Those eels you can sell 10 pieces for 192 gold (not sure) to trader Johan.

OwlsBane
Supreme Viking Champion
More Fish, Less Glitch

I've noticed that fishing in your farm is much smoother than fishing at the sea or rivers. The best way to get fish is in your farm, for there is less of a chance that a random glitch will make you lose your catch.

Luden Fairhair's picture
Luden Fairhair
Jarl
Improved Rod

Hi all

I currently have 128 Gems and have been trying to purchase an improved rod on a number of occasions (I CANT CATCH SALMON) and everytime it says my purchase has failed but I clearly have enough Gems to do this. Anyone shed any light on why I can not get me rod?

Luden Fairhair

EpicDragonG's picture
EpicDragonG
Forager
Fishing 101

This is very helpful. Thanks!