Dragon Training 101

{_______________________________}

THE WHISPERING DEATH

Class: Boulder

Length: 95 feet (average) 

Weight: 2000 lbs (average)

Wingspan: 26 feet

Diet: Fireweed, Fish, Mutton, and Rocks

_________________________________________________________________________________

One of the largest and most aggressive dragons in the known

world, the Whispering Death will bulldoze anyone in its path -

literally - with its six rows of razor sharp, counter rotating

teeth! Although they are around the same level of difficult as

training a Changewing or a Typhoomerang, these dragons are

no different in their desire to be left alone, but bonding with

one proves that even the nastiest dragons can be trained. My

name is Jyharri and I will explain the basis of dragon training,

the Whispering Death.

Unlike most of the previous dragons on this list, the Whispering

Death is deemed a known killer and can be extremely territorial

around anything or anyone found in its holes... unless it is prey.

However, there are some secrets to easily train a Whispering

Death that may surprise you... I know it did me. Now, keep

quiet and listen up because you don't want to become the

Whispering Death's next meal (death is in the dragon's name

after all)!

Disclaimer: A majority, but not all information on the Whispering

Death can be summed up from my experience with Whispering Deaths

them, training, etc), so take these words with a grain of salt.

Step 1: Location

For a burrowing dragon, they can be rather hard to find. The

best places to search for them are in dense mountains,

deserted islands, and caves from around the Archipelago. I

wouldn't recommend going inside any caves, though.

Step 2: Teeth and Spikes

Once you discover the lair of a Whispering Death, take extreme

caution! Since the dragon is trying to defend its territory,

always stay at least 40 feet away from the entrance. Once the

dragon goes on its routine check, don't move a muscle, the

dragon has already caught onto your scent. After the dragon

leaves, routinely come back to that spot so that the dragon can

get used to your presence.

Step 3: Growing Closer

I'd wager that at least a month is enough for letting the dragon

get used to you before you go in with your broom. Yes, you're

going straight into the lair with just a broom... why? The

dragon enjoys getting its teeth brushed! After doing this for a

few days, and feeding the Whispering Death one of its preferred

foods, you'll be able to "do the hand thing." However, for

anyone that wants to speed this proces up, I'd suggest a more

active approach. Lure the dragon outside of its territory to

challenge it, avoid the deadly rings of fire and wait for the

dragon to tire out. Despite its aggressive nature, they are

deeply content in fair combat.

Step 4: Flying and Fighting

After taming your Whispering Death, be sure to give it time to

get used to you on its back - that's where the small, flappy

things are placed. Due to the wind pressure of the Whispering

Death's flying style, you have to make sure to hold on tight

whilst flying (I fell off one of mine once, and the end result

wasn't favorable). Pretty soon, the dragon will get used to the

flights, and the drill runs for training afterwards. Pro Tip: Never,

Ever, Ever push a Whispering Death to its limit when training,

that's when it'll get extremely aggressive. Assuming everything

goes well, you'll be able to win even the testiest battles with

your new ally!

Step 5: Rivalries

Along with several other species, your Whispering Death is

likely to have a rivalry with another dragon at some point in its

growth. In a case of the rival showing up, let them duke it out

alone, a Whispering Death can handle itself extremely well

without interference. However, if you'd like to help your dragon

win the rivalry, show yourself as a distraction for the rival

dragon, but no more than that. Hopefully, the rivalry will be

over before you can down a mug of Astrid's Yaknog.

Extras: Titan Whispering Deaths

When any dragon becomes a titan, it does becomes twice as

strong and aggressive than its broad wing stage, and the

Whispering Death is extremely aggressive at this stage. Like

with the Typhoomerang, the Whispering Death you've trained

needs time to grow used to its growth, and will become

extremely aggressive when provoked. However, unlike with the

Typhoomerang that leaves after attacking, the Whispering

Death may even try to kill you... again, extreme caution!

Who am I? That's none of your business.

The quickest way to get on my bade side.

Most effective way to get on my good side. Here's 1-5.

TheBeardedDragonMan's picture
TheBeardedDragonMan
Chief
*muffled squeak* LEMME OUTTA HERE GROUNDBREAKER !!!

As a Whispering Death enthusiast, I totall have to agree with your broom.  Since the Whispering Death has no tongue (I learned this in a quite horrifying way) food, and rock do get caught in its many teeth, often causing some discomfort. A broom will bring much wanted relief to the whispering death, unlocking an affection for the brusher that cannot be obtained in any other way.  Also, they tend to show their affection for you by roaring in your ear (which is REALLY LOUD), and curling around you to sleep as you are talking with friends (which is REALLY SPIKEY).  As my titan W. Death, Groundbreaker taught me, there is no dragon harder to train, and harder to hug.  Best of luck all you potential W. Death trainers!  Dont, DONT, forget your broom.  

What's with calling it a Siggy?

Why not just stick with a plain old

Signature

Well Hello There! if you've gotten this far good job. I usually dont read farther than this on other people's siggys, but that's bc I'm too lazy to wait for them to load...

Here you will find my most of my personal likes, and zero of my dislikes,

because well...I dislike them.

Anyways....

Here is my fav stuff, from HTTYD to my fav animals to

whatever I decide to put here. 

If you really want to know what I'm like, dont ask me, ask some of my fellow dragon riders

TheBohemianCritic, HashiramaFirstHokage, xXkiararararaXx, FlittIngerman, Baron Flynt, RosaleetheBrave

xXCardinalxWingsXx, Leafgale and many others whom I cant remember as I type this.  

The Terrible Terror is Me trying to roast my friends.  They give me a fish at the end out of pity.  

Made by EmeraldHuntress65 (Not me)

(Made by Flitt, and is actually pretty cool no matter what she says)

If you want to, Join Harbingerz!  We have a recruitment page somewhere on the forums. 

A News page too (though there aint much news on it yet)

If you want to find me in game, either friend me (well you have to find me to do that first) or look for me with my loving W. Death Groundbreaker (who's pic won't load so oh well).

GRIMMEL IS THE ULTIMATE VILLIAN!!!

Firefin the Screamborn by Flitt

(The Screamborn is said to be born from the screaming death's dying cry)

This is GravyBoat, and BoatyGravy. 

(Done by Flitt who made these out of three words: Lava, Gravy, and Tuffnut)

This is Starchbeard the Potato Dragon by Flitt

Wanna See A REAL LIVE DRAGON?

Look no further, for this dragon can live in your house, and steal your heart.  

BEARDED DRAGONS FOREVER!!

(Leviathan 2016-2018)

I love LEGO

Want me to make a build?

PM me and I'll try to make what you requested (no promises, I have limitations people)

This is a Lego rocket car I built that my friend homemade some rocket fuel for. 

It didnt go very far but the flame that was created was pretty awesome

(Yes that is real purple fire)

WOW!!

You made it to the END!!

(I usually never, ever, ever make it to the end of peoples siggys, but dont take it personally)

Also, since your here, I've got a special surprise for you.  

You are now entitled to call me by the name my loving (or not so loving) friends do.  

Lord Alpha Bouncy Unicorn.  

Jyharri Arowdur's picture
Jyharri Arowdur
Supreme Viking Champion
Much Appreciated

Aye, I wish I had more time to elaborate on the broom, but time was of the essence. However, I wouldn't say the same for the Screaming Death though.

Hillevij's picture
Hillevij
Berk's Power Player
Thumbtack, bring back that subject!

May I add, under any circumstances, to NEVER, ever, use a dried dragon nip broom? Trust me kids, I speak from experience.

Infact, even though great to swipe around your hideout's floor, the dried dragon nip bristles aren't quite as good for a Whispering Death, as said plant releases a rather strong odor when put to dry out. Fresh dragon nip will cause this mighty Boulder Class dragon to simply sneeze, but you don't want that to happen with dried nip, with your head in the dragon's mouth, unless you fancy some fire in your hair. You may accidentally tickle the mouth of the dragon's furnace and there you go, all nice and roasted.

I personally suggest binding some thin branches together on one end. Smaller than a regular broom (around thirty five- fourty centimeters should be enough for you to reach even the furthest rows without having to crawl in the dragon's mouth) this "minibroom" is easily attachable to your belt, allowing you to take care of your giant pointy tadpole wherever you may be! The wood should belong to the soft type: pine tree or fir should do. It's also the most common kind around the archipelago, so crafting yourself one should be easy and fast!

I wouldn't recommend a harder type of wood, as  I personally don't wanna risk piercing my Dragon's gums in the process. Pine tree also smells nice, so it should help improving the dragon's breath as well! (Doesn't quite work with my Thumbtack, though, because he's stubborn enough to keep eating sheep droppings even though he knows he's not supposed to)

Oh, hello there!

Oh, there it is. Silly old universe. The more I save it the more it needs saving. It’s a treadmill.

Yes, yes I know they’ll get it all wrong without me.

Well, I suppose….one more lifetime won’t kill anyone. Well, except me.

You wait a moment, Doctor. Let’s get it right. I’ve got a few things to say to you. Basic stuff first.

Never be cruel, never be cowardly. And never ever eat pears! Remember – hate is always foolish…and love, is always wise.

Always try, to be nice and never fail to be kind. Oh, and….and you mustn’t tell anyone your name. No-one would understand it anyway.

Except….children. Children can hear it. Sometimes – if their hearts are in the right place, and the stars are too. Children can hear your name.

But nobody else. Nobody else. Ever.

Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Doctor – I let you go.

-Twelfth Doctor, Twice upon a Time

The tears I cried over this speech, you have no idea.

signature under construction. As usual.

Jyharri Arowdur's picture
Jyharri Arowdur
Supreme Viking Champion
Wowza O.O

That's a surprisingly large amount of information that will be useful to all who chose to use the broom method. I am thankful without end! It would probably be best to dile down the stiffness of the bristles by using refined yak hairs, finely washed of course.

TheBeardedDragonMan's picture
TheBeardedDragonMan
Chief
Gesundheit

Very Very true.  Having your W. Death say "HAAAKABOOM" when you're brushing their teeth is very undesirable, unless of course you're going for the singed/on fire ultimate dragon trainer look...

Kasanelover's picture
Kasanelover
Supreme Viking Champion
Swoopin' In!

You have earned Doctor Alex's stamp of approval for this Dragon Training 101; perhaps the Prickleboggle learned a thing or two from this post, even though he's been with a female Titan Whispering Death for decades now. That, or he's just biased towards the species. Either way, well done as always. ^^ Might I suggest making a sort of "master thread" for this series? If it doesn't contain all the entries, it can have all the links that lead to them so everyone can go to the one they're looking for or have said master thread on standby for future reference; kinda like the Contents page of a book!

Aliases: Kas or Kasane

Main Dragon: Papa Moon the Titan Stormcutter

Favorite Dragon Breed: Stormcutter

Other Favorites (in no particular order): Buffalord, Skrill, Prickleboggle, Triple Stryke, Woolly Howl, Thunderdrum, Deathgripper

Somehow interested in my opinion on dragons? I (re)made a Dragon Review Here: My Dragon Review 2.0

Information about my dragons can all be found here: My Grand Dragon Family

Information about my HTTYD OCs and their dragons can all be found here: My OCs and Their Dragons

Requests From Others!

"*Banshee screech* You look so cute!" - Comet Burst

-Insert Wise dying on the inside here-

Drawn by the terrific TosiLohi!

Sometimes Papa's ego becomes as big as Jupiter. . .screenshot edited by Zeezur!

Happy wife, happy life. Made by Snowflake12298!

The main character for my story made into a beautiful Snowy Griffin. Made by LissaFish!

A cute Papa headshot made by HoneyCloudy!

As much as I love the big guy, it's fun to occasionally spite him. ewe Made/edited by SilverNight!

Drago once said the strength of will over others is true strength. . .and Hiccup says friendship is true strength. . .but they're both wrong. Cuteness is the one and only true strength! These faces will be the death of evil, I'm telling you. Made all by Zitka!

Hobbleslicer, the male Tingecutter made my AndreaEaston!

A truly fuzzy Moon made/edited by HoneyCloudy!

HypergoofTheFriendlyBerserker's picture
HypergoofTheFri...
Supreme Viking Champion
Wiggles the whispering death ate my subject

Another thing to keep in mind is that even with the incredible territory aggression whispering d.eaths will sometimes live in family groups. They have incredible parental instincts and young will often continue living with the mother for a good while into young adulthood before their instincts kick in and they split off to start their own families. This can work in one's favor as if you make friends with one it'll be easier to make friends with the others but it can also be very bad if one forgets to check whether they are dealing with a mature individual or a family group. Panicking and running after finding oneself surrounded rather then with just one nightmare snake can trigger a group attack which is the last thing you want with any dragon species but espessully with a species that has more ways to k.ill you then most. Really I wouldn't poke a family without very good reason because depending on the individual in question the mom might be grateful for extra food OR she might be EVEN MORE snappy then most wild whispering d.eaths because she's defending her babys. In the second scenario it will be nearly impossible to safely approach the dragon. But....if you need a BUNCH of whispering d.eaths for something sometimes it can be worth attempting to train a family group assuming you or whoever you get to do the training is very skilled.

IF you DO need to mess with a whispering d.eath family go for the mom. The youngsters won't touch you if mama likes you. That is...at least until they start to near that breakaway stage at which point you'll need to prove yourself to any maturing d.eath that decides you're not worth listening to anymore or just let that one go to avoid trouble. The second option works well if you are fine with just keeping the mom and any stragglers by your side. If you don't NEED the whole group then it's really not worth the trouble as you will be kind of rubbing their instincts the wrong way otherwise.

Bumbles the candy loving Lazersight Vesperwing who likes to stalk me for my food.

Adopted from goldenfury360 who made the species.

Lineart done by NightmareRebuff

Flint the over curious gluespit.

Adopted from chameishida.

Chelsy, the least frightening indominus rex there ever was. Color shifting joke charicter extrodinare. Art by TosiLohi.