Dragon Training 101

{_______________________________}

THE SKRILL

Class: Strike

Length: 36 feet (average) 

Weight: 700 lbs (average)

Wingspan: 46 feet

Diet: Sheep

Skrills are one of the most feared and untrainable dragons known to vikings, yet they can be tamed and directed by the right viking... My name is Jyharri, and I will explain the basis of dragon training, the Skrill. 

The Skrill is one of the few, if not only, dragon that can go head to toe with the Night Fury in speed, strength, and inteliigence. They have been known to hold grudges with enemies for decades at a time. Even if gaining a skrill's trust wasn't bad enough, you will still have to deal with the lightning and fury before and after the taming process. 

Disclaimer: A majority, but not all information on the skrill can be summed up from my experience with Skrills (raising them, training, etc), so take these words with a grain of salt. 

Step 1: Location

In order to find a skrill to train, you must make sure you're looking in the right places. Skrills prefer solitude and stormy weather, hence their ability to redirect lightning. The best places to search are high mountain peaks in the Barbaric Archipelago.

Step 2: Cloak and Dagger (literally)

Before even considering getting close to this... this incredibly aggressive and territorial dragon, make sure to bring a metal dagger with you. As seen by example of the recently deceased Viggo Grimborn, metal daggers draws Skrills close to you and calms them, no matter how aggressive. Once the dragon realises you're not a threat, you can gently touch its nose to bond with it. 

Step 3: Strengthing Trust

Skrills aren't for vikings who let dragons learn from their rider's mistakes... do that to a skrill? You're asking fot a death wish. Always spend time with your Skrill, yet let it return to its territory to let it spend its alone time, all dragons enjoy that from time to time. 

Step 4: Training and Communication

Directing a skrill to respond to your voice may be troubling at first, but make sure use that dagger as a director for the skrill's next move. Point at the target like a staff to signal the dragon to attack. Once your skrill gets used to that, start using verbal commands with the dagger, then just using verbal commands. 

Step 5: Loyalty

Showing a skrill how loyal you are in an air battle, as well as proving you can defend its life countless time will help you and your skrill become a nearly unstoppable force. 

Extras: Titan Skrills

When any dragon becomesbecomes a titan, it becomes twice as strong, twice as aggressive, and in contrast to this dragon, twice as fast and DEADLY. it is important to follow the steps above with a shield in hand just in case a random thunderbolt is sent your way.

Kasanelover's picture
Kasanelover
Supreme Viking Champion
Swoopin' In!

An interesting read! That dagger tip definitely would've been helpful for when I first got Thundershock. . .he's a good boy now at least. ^^; I look forward to reading more!

Aliases: Kas or Kasane

Main Dragon: Papa Moon the Titan Stormcutter

Favorite Dragon Breed: Stormcutter

Other Favorites (in no particular order): Buffalord, Skrill, Prickleboggle, Triple Stryke, Woolly Howl, Thunderdrum, Deathgripper

Somehow interested in my opinion on dragons? I (re)made a Dragon Review Here: My Dragon Review 2.0

Information about my dragons can all be found here: My Grand Dragon Family

Information about my HTTYD OCs and their dragons can all be found here: My OCs and Their Dragons

Requests From Others!

"*Banshee screech* You look so cute!" - Comet Burst

-Insert Wise dying on the inside here-

Drawn by the terrific TosiLohi!

Sometimes Papa's ego becomes as big as Jupiter. . .screenshot edited by Zeezur!

Happy wife, happy life. Made by Snowflake12298!

The main character for my story made into a beautiful Snowy Griffin. Made by LissaFish!

A cute Papa headshot made by HoneyCloudy!

As much as I love the big guy, it's fun to occasionally spite him. ewe Made/edited by SilverNight!

Drago once said the strength of will over others is true strength. . .and Hiccup says friendship is true strength. . .but they're both wrong. Cuteness is the one and only true strength! These faces will be the death of evil, I'm telling you. Made all by Zitka!

Hobbleslicer, the male Tingecutter made my AndreaEaston!

A truly fuzzy Moon made/edited by HoneyCloudy!

Jyharri Arowdur's picture
Jyharri Arowdur
Supreme Viking Champion
Sweet!

That's good to hear. There will definitely be more on different dragons as well. I wish I learned the dagger trick when training my first skrills, Blitzkrieg and Astalos. 

Mack0927's picture
Mack0927
Supreme Viking Champion
For some reason my skrill

For some reason my skrill Taranis loves to cuddle....he always ends up shocking me though... He is also very territorial over the chickens at my farm... I've stopped questioning it XD

Hi! My name is Mack! I have 3 accounts if you see me in the game say hi! I love meeting new people!

Art Gallery!

So many wonderful people have done art for me I've put them all in a couple of collages! (I will credit all artists at the end)

Zephyrus!

My Other Dragons!

Fan Dragons!

"I've decided I don't want to fight dragons"

-Hiccup Haddock

Profile Picture by Hillevij

Artists (Also including artists whose pictures aren't in here!): Hillevij, ImDerpySheylaYT, The Blobfish Queen, LissaFish, Megaboltphoenix, DyliehIdol1214, ParakeetAndine, Astridstormflyo, Chameishida, Fireflash, and Minion V1!

Jyharri Arowdur
Supreme Viking Champion
Cuddlefest

It's good that you bonded with your skrill so affectionately. The chicken thing may either be temporary or... maybe Tuffnut's chicken... oh, nevermind. 

The Bird Queen's picture
The Bird Queen
Supreme Viking Champion
"Subject? It's r- Flash, STOP eating my subject!"- Raineir

My OC Raineir defended her Skrill Flash from dragon hunters a month before the events of HTTYD.  It took place in the cove where Hiccup and Toothless became friends.  Raineir can ride Flash without getting shocked.  She, for some reason, is virtually immune to electrical shocks. Flash sees Raineir as her human sister.

This lovely gif done by the fabulous RandomGirl2010! :)

Profile pic art (of Ripplecloud the Raincutter!) done by the also fabulous Tigerli1y! :)

This signature is guarded by the fierce Deadly Nadder: Stella! A huge thanks to the wonderful Wolf and Star for pairing me with this beauty and to the also wonderful DyliehIdol1214 for doing the art! :)

About me (in real life):

Pets: Two (a Scottish Terrier and a cat)

Home Address: WHY would I tell you that?

Favorite Colors: V i o l e t, green (I do like a nice forest green)

Favorite food: Pretty much anything my mom makes, also, CHOCOLATE

Favorite Fruit: Grapes (love frozen grapes in the summer), mango, bananas

Favorite candy: REESE'S

Favorite animal(s): BIRDS, elephants, dragons, dogs, cats and tortoises

Favorite animal that's extinct: Lots, including the Thylacine, Passenger Pigeon, and Kauai oo

Hogwarts House: Hufflepuff, yeah!

About Me ( in SoD)

Main Viking: nakataGreenThumbs

Stars: 1 and a half platinum 

First Dragons: Lightning the titan Shockjaw and Skyhopper the titan Deadly nadder

Most recent dragon: Caelum the Silver Phantom

Main dragon: I use all of them fairly equally (I try to, at least)

Trophies: Between 600 and 700, I'll have to check

First Viking: nakataGreenThumbs (created March 2017)

Favorite place to hang out: Wilderness and Training Grounds

Clan:

Banner created by the great EmeraldHuntress65! :)

I also like to photograph birds. Here are some bird photos I took in 2020:

In order of appearance: Western meadowlark, female Bullock's oriole, female Anna's hummingbird, Western screech-owl, White-crowned sparrows

Now for some art generously done for me by some very talented artists!

Credits to the wonderful people who did this lovely artwork (in order of art shown): snowflake12298, WoollyHowlEra, LucinaOfTwilight, Tigerli1y, DyliehIdol1214, WoollyHowlEra again, A lapse, and Blue Kitsune! Thank you all so much! :)

Of course, who could forget the beautiful Starflight? Despite her difficult past, she has found the companionship she had craved for so long, thanks to the help of a kindly group of Nadders. Next to her is her newest friend, Quickflash, whose difficult past mirrors Starflight's, but without the kindness of a mother. Starflight rescued her from drowning and the two became great friends. Both created and given to me by the great DyliehIdol1214! :)

Well... um... I guess that's it, for now at least. Enjoy this artwork by ze great Chameishida! :) This is a nightfury designed with a Raincutter skin.

...Ok, I lied. There's just a little more to see. Here's Ripplecloud again. Art by the great DyliehIdol1214! :)

Yay, you've reached the end (for now :D)! Enjoy my mini army of pixel dragons! Done by the great Chameishida :)

Jyharri Arowdur
Supreme Viking Champion
Truly?

That is one epic backstory for your character. Are you going to make a storu about it? If so, I'd be more than interested to read it. 

The Bird Queen's picture
The Bird Queen
Supreme Viking Champion
"Subject? It's r- Flash, STOP eating my subject!"- Raineir

Thanks!  I have a story about how Raineir found Flash on Fanfiction.net.  My username on there is Raineir Feralsome. The story is titled Wings of Lightning. It's a rather short one, but I have one about it in my signature on here.

Jyharri Arowdur
Supreme Viking Champion
DT 101: Update

A new video has been made to represent this dragon, give it a watch if you'd like to hear me meldiously talk about my favorite dragon. More update videos will be coming soon:

Link: https://youtu.be/L1XDNTkF8r0